We are growing. We’re looking for an imagery and remote sensing intern to join the Development Seed team. You’ll join a team that is pushing the bounds of how data and maps can improve disaster preparedness, humanitarian response, environmental protection, global health, urban design and managment, and the promotion of rights and democracy.
We’re looking for someone to help us to push the bounds of how satellite imagery and sensor data can be processed, analyzed, and presented to inform the work of governments, NGOs, and development organizations. You’ll work on really interesting problems like satellite tasking and image aquisition, automated satellite image processing, strategies for sensor and drone deployment, wrangling and integrating sensor data, and visualizing complex data.
You’ll be joining a tight and growing team that gets things done. From strategists to designers and developers, we’re a team that pushes the boundaries of how to make data make a difference. You will work with tools like GDAL and TileMill, while gaining experience with scripting and leveraging an open source toolbox to process imagery. You work closely with our team on strategic advising, rapid prototyping, and development of impactful web tools.
Qualities we’re looking for:
- Knowledge of remote sensing. Whether you’ve taken remote sensing courses or worked professionally doing imagery analysis, you bring specialized knowledge that contribute to the diversity of the team.
- Ready to code. Processing will take work and it will take some significant code. Scripting in Python, Bash, and whatever else you need will be your tools.
- Strong analytical ability You see the order in the chaos. You turn complex data into meaningful knowledge.
- Strong communication skills. Github, email, and blogging are our tools we use to communicate and we’re looking for someone who can contribute to both our internal and external communication strategies.
- Self-taught learner. Many of the questions we will ask you haven’t been answered. You’ll figure it out. Along the way you will build the skills you need to get there.
This position is a paid, full time, three-month internship, with the option to extend for longer.
Please send the following to [email protected]:
- Note describing why you’re interested in the internship at Development Seed.
- Examples of your work. Portfolio, website, or whatever medium communicates your work best.
- For extra points, find a satellite image from an open data archive of your favorite place or do something cool with the location of the image above.