We are looking for a visual interface designer who can create beautiful & intuitive user interfaces. As a designer you will play a leading role in the product development process, engaging directly with users to understand their needs, articulating your design vision, and building well-structured HTML/CSS. You’ll be responsible for creating cohesive style guides and ensuring that a consistent design language is applied across products. You will join a talented team of 40+ designers, engineers, and data experts, where you will own the visual component for a wide range of our tools, graphics, and maps.
Development Seed is an engineering and design shop based in Washington, DC, Lisbon, Portugal and Ayacucho, Peru. We’re a team of developers and designers creating positive social impact with open tech and open knowledge alongside organizations like the World Bank, the Washington Post, and NASA.
As a designer, you:
- Care about users, and strive to understand how your work impacts them through user-testing.
- Communicate clear design direction, verbally and through mock-ups, wireframes, and other methods.
- Write clean HTML and CSS, and understand the importance of semantic, accessible markup.
- Give and solicit critiques from other designers in order to improve your craft.
- Continually challenge yourself to pick up new tools and workflows.
Ideal candidates have 3+ years professional experience with:
- Designing user interfaces
- Current UI/UX best practices
- HTML and CSS
- Design tools, such as Sketch and InVision
- Information design, hierarchy, and data visualization
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer or designer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build. You’ve also tried out enough options to know that the hip new thing isn’t always the best solution.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You know when to use a quick fix and when to invest more time refactoring.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges. Read more about the issues and projects that move us at https://developmentseed.org
If this sounds like you, apply using the form below. Tell us about yourself and what you’d love to work on at Development Seed.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.