At Development Seed, we design solutions to help our partners solve global problems. We believe in designing for humans, and our commitment to user-driven research sets us apart. Our interfaces are in production at organizations like NASA, the World Bank, and the Red Cross.
We’re looking for a new team member who can lay beautiful, intuitive UI solutions. As UI/UX designer, you will play a leading role in the product development process, engaging directly with users to understand their needs, articulating your design vision, and building well-structured HTML/CSS. You’ll be responsible for creating cohesive style guides and ensuring that a consistent design language is applied across products. You will join a talented team of thirty(-ish) designers, engineers, and data experts, where you will own the visual component for a wide range of our tools, graphics, and maps.
This is a full-time position, based in Washington, DC.
- Care about users, and strive to understand how your work impacts them through user-testing.
- Communicate clear design direction, verbally and through mock-ups, wireframes, and other methods.
- Write clean HTML and CSS, and understand the importance of semantic, accessible markup.
- Give and solicit critiques from other designers in order to improve your craft.
- Continually challenge yourself to pick up new tools and workflows.
You should have knowledge of:
- Designing user interfaces
- Current UI/UX best practices
- HTML and CSS
- Design tools, such as Sketch
- Information design, hierarchy, and data visualization
- Cartographic design is a plus
Please include a link to a portfolio or examples of your recent work in your cover letter.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.