Development Seed seeks a Product Owner to craft meaningful products that make real world social and environmental impact. You will coordinate the process of designing and delivering data products in emerging problem spaces like AI, Climate Science, Open Science on the Cloud, Green Energy, Satellites and Space, and Sustainable Agriculture. You will focus our highly talented engineering and design teams on building products that solve the right problem for our clients and users. Through each engagement you will help us learn; to improve our understanding of how data and insights can deliver outcomes; and improve our practice of “engineering impact”.
We believe in the power of data to enable decision-makers to solve the world’s toughest problems. We help NASA manage planetary scale satellite data, work with the World Bank to expand electricity access and renewable energy, and built Washington Post’s live election maps seen by millions. At our core, Development Seed is an impact-driven organization, working to make positive social and environmental change by providing decision-makers with the best data about our planet.
Development Seed is a unique and rewarding place to do this work. Over the past two decades, Development Seed has honed our approach of stewarding projects from opportunity to a successful, impactful product. Our partners are working on interesting and important problems. Our technical teams are built of curious, empathetic people with high intrinsic motivation and a growth mindset. We invest heavily in R&D that drives the field and regularly reinvent the nature of our work. As a Product Owner at Development Seed you are putting 100% of your energy into ushering meaningful and compelling products into the world, supported by exceptional colleagues and partners.
As a Product Owner, you:
- Collaborate with our partners and clients to design and evolve our product vision and strategy. Drive products and features from concept to successful launch.
- Support our designers and developers to produce meaningful data products. Provide them with the context that allow them to execute well.
- Lead product learning and evaluation to inform future product development and to improve our craft.
You have an established background in launching software or services in partnership with designers and developers. You may have done this in a client services environment, or as part of a product organization with a small engineering team. In addition, you have:
- A high degree of proficiency in prototyping, iterative development, and understanding of agile principles.
- Outstanding communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills and capacity to synthesize.
- Able to keep an eye on the prize and to effectively manage conflicting stakeholder needs.
- Proven track record of delivering data driven solutions with a user-first mindset.
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Take DevSeed to the next level of global impact.