Development Seed is a mission-driven organization that believes in harnessing the power of Earth observation data to enable decision-makers to solve some of the world’s most critical challenges. We are leading advancements in fields such as machine learning and cloud infrastructure engineering to better enable our partners to address things like vulnerable housing susceptible to climate change or better understand hurricane intensity and wind speed changes in real-time for better disaster preparedness.
We are uniquely setup with a distributed team of remote staff and satellite offices around the world, but the heart of operations is based in our Washington, D.C. Headquarters. We are looking for an Operations and Accounting Coordinator to help Development Seed scale our daily operations and ensure the team is equipped to deliver well for our partners. The Operations and Accounting Coordinator is a process-driven “roll up your sleeves” role responsible for maintaining and supporting a productive, efficient and happy working environment.
This role implements improvements in the daily operations of the office, promotes our company culture, oversees administrative processes and provides general HR administration, accounting, recruiting, and event support.
Will thrive in this position as a self-starter with a “get the job done” attitude, have the enthusiasm for tasks big or small, and are a problem-solver who can offer innovative solutions to how we manage process.
Specifically, you are:
- highly organized and able to juggle several tasks at once through thoughtful prioritization
- flexible and adapt quickly to the changing needs of a small team and willing to step in where needed
- process-oriented and consider yourself a master of details
- forward-looking and anticipate how to improve the systems and processes in place
- a strong communicator capable of both in-person and async communications
You ideally have experience:
- using financial and team collaboration/management software (ie Quickbooks, Expensify, G-Suite, GitHub, Slack, etc.)
- creating basic spreadsheets and some schooling or background in accounting or business administration
- working in small fast moving teams
We are looking for a team member to perform:
Administrative support – this will change on a daily basis but could be anything from scheduling interviews and supporting travel for prospective candidates, to supporting team meetings and events
Facilities support – our team relies on a secure, healthy and enjoyable place to work; this means managing office supplies and stocking up on the things that get our team through the day, handling incoming/outgoing packages, collaborating with firm and building facilities management companies for all of our office locations
Financial support – we are a small, agile company with several partner contracts to manage and team members traveling; these responsibilities will help our Finance Lead manage accounts receivable analysis and billing responsibilities, merchant card activity, cost control and expense monitoring
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger, and you communicate effectively on Slack, over email, and in-person, and know when to use each.
- Learn — We constantly iterate how we handle processes across the organization. You need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways of doing things, but you also know that sometimes keeping it simple works best.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.