We are seeking an experienced machine learning engineer to build the next generation of ML algorithms and infrastructure for geospatial analysis. Your everyday work will focus on training and deploying deep learning algorithms at scale. As a machine learning engineer at Development Seed you will take on real-world ML problems for our partners like NASA, the World Bank, and ESA.
The algorithms you develop will advance work in the development and humanitarian community. Though these tools and infrastructure, you will empower our partners working to address real-world social challenges. The algorithms and infrastructure you develop will bolster progress towards the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
As a machine learning engineer, you will:
- Train ML models and deploy them at a global scale
- Integrate ML models into geospatial mapping tools, data visualization platforms, and scalable analysis platforms
- Work with development and humanitarian organizations to understand where and how ML can help, and then make it happen.
- Use the best technology available on a team of people that want you to grow and be successful.
For concrete examples of our ML work, check out recent blog post aimed at:
- Locating schools across all of Colombia
- Integrating ML into existing mapping tools
- Finding houses vulnerable to disasters
- Building open tools to support creation of ML training data
We are looking for candidates with:
- Proficiency in deep learning libraries like Tensorflow and/or PyTorch
- Experience with Github and team-driven development
- A mathematically sound, disciplined approach to ML
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to solve new challenges
- A strong sense of curiosity
Experience with containerized workflows, cloud deployment, geospatial data, and remote sensing data are a plus. Ideal candidates are full-time based in DC, though we are open to remote roles. Current work with government agencies requires US Citizenship for this position.
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You’re able and excited to learn new ways to build. You’ve tried enough new tech to know that the hip new thing isn’t always the best solution.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You know when to use a quick fix and when to invest more time refactoring.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
If this sounds like you, apply below with your resume. Tell us about yourself and what you’d love to work on at Development Seed.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply - we have a culture of learning, and if this job description gets you excited, we want to hear from you. We focus on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.