Development Seed is an engineering and design shop based in Washington, DC, Lisbon, Portugal and Ayacucho, Peru. We’re a team of twenty-six developers and designers creating positive social impact with open tech and open knowledge alongside organizations like the World Bank, the Washington Post, and NASA.
We are looking for a Map Data Engineer to help us build powerful tools for collecting, managing, distributing and understanding data on our planet. You will work with a range of datasets like OpenStreetMap, satellite imagery, and large volumes of Earth observation data. You will contribute to a growing ecosystem of tools within OpenStreetMap, improve how institutions use collaborative mapping software to manage public assets, and build the foundation of cloud-first analytics tools. You will be solving real problems for organizations that address big global challenges. You will be building the best technology available with a group of people that want you to grow and win.
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person. You’re passionate about teaching and helping your team members grow from day 1.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build. You’ve also tried out enough options to know that the hip new thing isn’t always the best solution.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You know when to use a quick fix and when to invest more time refactoring.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
We are looking for candidates with a good understanding of:
- Node.js, Python, Ruby
- the OpenStreetMap ecosystem
- modern spatial technologies and standards like Mapbox Vector Tiles
- geospatial data tools like GDAL, QGIS
- databases like PostgreSQL
- HTML, CSS. React is a plus
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, ECS, S3, Lambda functions); and
- documentation and mentorship.
Ideal candidates are based in DC or Lisbon, or willing to relocate. If this sounds like you, apply here with your resume. Tell us about yourself and what you’d love to work on at Development Seed. You can also send us the application to email@example.com. Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply - we have a culture of learning, and if this job description gets you excited, we want to hear from you.
We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.