We are looking for a Map Data Engineer to help our partners build rich maps of the planet. You will build tools to collect, manage, distribute and analyze map data — from road networks, to points-of-interest, to farm fields. You will support projects such as: deploy AI-assisted mapping pipelines, gamification of mapping and map validation, help governments use collaborative mapping to manage public assets, develop new approaches to automated error detection, and help city planners to track how their city is changing in real time. You will contribute to a growing ecosystem of opensource tools within OpenStreetMap, FOSS4G and other open geospatial communities. You will solve real problems for organizations that address big global challenges. You will build the best technology available with a group of people that want you to grow and win.
As a Map Data Engineer you will:
- Learn and contribute to open source software to collect, manage, distribute, and analyze map data. Development Seed is an active supporter of the OpenStreetMap community. You are likely to contribute to software in the OSM ecosystem.
- Build new tools to help both mappers and project managers determine what to map, where to map and when to map.
- Solve complex and large-scale vector data analysis problems for governments and other institutions.
At Development Seed you will:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person. You’re passionate about teaching and helping your team members grow from day one.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build. You’ve also tried out enough options to know that the hip new thing isn’t always the best solution.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You know when to use a quick fix and when to invest more time refactoring.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
We are looking for candidates with at least 2 years of professional experience, and proficiency in:
- modern spatial technologies and standards like Mapbox Vector Tiles
- mapping in OpenStreetMap and software around the project
- geospatial data tools like GDAL, QGIS
- databases like PostgreSQL
- HTML, CSS. React is a plus
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, ECS, S3, Lambda functions); and
- documentation and mentorship
Ideal candidates are based in DC, though we are open to remote roles. Current work with government agencies requires US Citizenship for this position.
If this sounds like you, apply below with your resume. Tell us about yourself and what you’d love to work on at Development Seed.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply - we have a culture of learning, and if this job description gets you excited, we want to hear from you. We focus on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.