Development Seed is an engineering and design shop with team members around the world and offices in Washington, DC, Lisbon, Portugal and Ayacucho, Peru. We’re a team of developers and designers creating positive social impact with open tech and open knowledge alongside organizations like the World Bank, the Washington Post, and NASA.
As part of this team you will build data products and interfaces. Your primary contribution will be readable, maintainable code, but you should be comfortable communicating ideas about design and usability. You will help us continue to be our best by making framework and architectural recommendations, writing reusable components, and releasing open source libraries that improve the state of the art.
- Contribute to projects throughout their lifecycles - from planning and discovery through implementation to delivery to partners
- Work directly with designers, frontend engineers, and cloud engineers to produce products
- Write documentation and tests with a focus on enabling others to maintain the project after handoff
- Solve real problems for organizations that address big global challenges
- Use the best technology and practices available to ensure successful projects
- Learn and grow with a team that is committed to your success
- Work in the open. We support open source, open data, and open science and take pride in the impact we make. We encourage you to talk about your work through blogging, presentations at conferences, seminars, and workshops as part of the Development Seed team
- Work with stakeholders to understand the needs of end users
Ideal candidates have professional experience with:
- Node.js & frameworks for building API services
- Visualization technologies like D3 and Mapbox GL
- Testing frameworks like Jest, and cypress.io
- Deploying applications to cloud services
- Working with distributed teams
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You write detailed documentation before and after writing code.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Take DevSeed to the next level of global impact.