We are looking for a Frontend Developer to build intuitive and elegant interfaces that allow our partners to better understand the world and make better decisions. You will build impactful data products alongside organizations that address climate change, promote inclusive development, and respond to humanitarian crises. Your work will help urban planners better understand how their city is changing, and allow public officials to make smart investments in road and electricity infrastructure.
Development Seed is an engineering and design shop based in Washington, DC, Lisbon, Portugal and Ayacucho, Peru. We’re a team of developers and designers creating positive social impact with open tech and open knowledge alongside organizations like the World Bank, the Washington Post, and NASA.
You will work alongside this team to build data products and interfaces. Your primary contribution will be readable, maintainable code, but you should be comfortable communicating ideas about design and usability. At Development Seed, we keep up with current trends and design patterns, and can tell shiny objects from what helps us and our partners achieve our goals. You will help us continue to be our best by making framework and architectural recommendations, writing reusable components, and releasing open source libraries that improve the state of the art.
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person. You can work closely with designers and cloud engineers to build the best possible product.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. We’re not concerned with the number of languages or frameworks you know, but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build. You’ve also tried out enough options to know that the hip new thing isn’t always the best solution.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You know when to use a quick fix and when to invest more time refactoring.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
We are looking for candidates with a good understanding of:
- modern HTML and CSS
- visualization technologies like D3 and Mapbox GL
- databases like PostgreSQL; and
- documentation and mentorship.
Ideal candidates are based in Washington DC or Lisbon, or are willing to relocate.
If this sounds like you, send your resume to [email protected] or use the button below. Tell us about yourself and what you’d love to work on at Development Seed. Please include a link to a portfolio or examples of your recent work in your cover letter.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply - we have a culture of learning, and if this job description gets you excited, we want to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.