Development Seed seeks an experienced senior designer with an interest in design team support to work alongside our team of highly talented designers that are working to build products that make real world social and environmental impact. In this role, you will design impactful products as well as dedicate time and resources to create an environment where Development Seed designers can explore and grow their skills as they solve problems in emerging spaces like AI, Climate Science, Open Science on the Cloud, Green Energy, Satellites and Space, and Sustainable Agriculture.
We believe in the power of design to enable decision-makers to solve the world’s toughest problems. We work with partners that place a strong emphasis on user-focused development and thoughtful UI/UX. As a result, we spend our time on interesting design challenges that often explore modes of interaction that have no precedent such as human + AI co-mapping and designing new modes to find and access satellite data. At our core, Development Seed is an impact-driven organization, working to make positive social and environmental change by providing decision-makers with the best data about our planet.
Development Seed is a unique and rewarding place to do this work. Over the past two decades, we at Development Seed have honed our approach in stewarding projects from budding opportunities to successful, impactful products. Our partners are working on interesting and important problems. Our technical teams are built of curious, empathetic people with high intrinsic motivation and a growth mindset. We invest heavily in R&D that drives the field and regularly reinvent the nature of our work. As a Sr Designer at Development Seed you will split your time between investing in our design team and design process, and actively creating designs for a delivery team.
As a sr. designer you will:
- Facilitate and conduct mentorship amongst the design team.
- Promote quality of designs across multiple projects through design reviews and documentation.
- Ensure that brand and quality standards are met.
- Build and identify future design team needs.
- Represent and advocate for design team needs across projects and teams.
- Own design elements within the proposal process, conveying our product design process to potential partners.
- Streamline and standardize the product design lifecycle and deliveries.
- Encourage and promote UX and design thinking within delivery teams.
- Engage directly with users to understand their needs.
- Articulate your design vision to project partners and project team members.
- Translate use cases into a clear direction through UX deliverables such as user stories, sketches, wireframes, and style guides that lead to intuitive user experiences.
- Create cohesive style guides and ensuring that a consistent design language is applied across products.
- Outstanding communication and leadership skills.
- Can model effective collaboration with designers other developers.
- Knowledgeable about Design Thinking, Human-Centered Design, and working in an agile/lean UX environment.
- Proficiency in both design and prototyping tools, such as Figma, Sketch, and Invision.
- Strong background creating research artifacts, such as user personas, journey maps, and scenario studies.
- Experience with product design.
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual contributor. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular design library or toolset upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to design.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Take DevSeed to the next level of global impact.