With just an internet connection, we should be able to understand our changing planet.
Without having to install a single library or download a single file, scientists should be able to understand global Earth Observation datasets.
We are looking for someone to help us deliver Earth Observation data to the cloud. You will work with NASA and other organizations which share our vision for empowering users to discover, visualize and analyze geospatial data.
NASA and other geospatial organizations are collecting vast amounts of Earth observation data. With your help, the rich information stored in these archives can be unlocked by human’s inquisitive and exploratory nature. You will build systems to support the delivery of this data to the cloud and translation to formats and services which make discovery of the information frictionless.
As a cloud engineer, you will:
- Build reliable and scalable services, optimized to deliver petabytes of satellite imagery data to millions of simultaneous users
- Use cloud services to process and analyze imagery in near-real time
- Create and integrate applications which enable discovery and exploitation of Earth Observation data
- Solve real problems for organizations that address big global challenges
- Use the best technology available on a team of people that want you to grow and win
- Work with stakeholders to understand the needs of end users
- Be an advocate for for cloud-optimized data formats and services
To be successful in this role, you will leverage your skills building quality, repeatable data processing and manipulation tools on cloud technologies. This is not a data science position. The majority of your time will be writing software that allows other scientists to engage in repeatable science on the cloud. Experience with Docker and Amazon Web Services are required. Familiarity with other cloud providers (Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform) is also valuable.
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build. You’ve also tried out enough options to know that the hip new thing isn’t always the best solution.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You know when to use a quick fix and when to invest more time refactoring.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
Ideal candidates have 2+ years professional experience with:
- Node.js and / or Python
- Amazon Web Services
If this sounds like you, send your resume to [email protected] Tell us about yourself and what you’d love to work on at Development Seed.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.